Wednesday, November 12

Management or lack there of

So, I want you to imagine something with me for a second..

Imagine that my Management class at Mansfield University is a business, which is what the teacher likes to think. In my Management textbook I am reading about "Criteria for Effective Goals" in a business. There is a list of characteristics of "good" goals. These are (1) specific and measurable, (2) cover key result areas, (3) challenging but realistic, (4) defined time period, and (5) linked to rewards. So, seeing how my class is a business my teacher should be aiming at these criteria for our classroom curriculum and organization, correct?

So, then, with that in mind, let me describe a typical day in my MANAGEMENT class. The place we are "learning" these principles and criteria for goals of a well thought out business.

So the class starts at 11:30am. I begin by writing out the time in 15 minute increments on my paper so I can count down the time until I leave the class. My "darling" teacher stands in front of the class with his oh-so-thought-out powerpoint presentation AND READS THE SLIDES TO US! That's it! An hour and a half later, after tears, drawing an elaborate replication of a picasso painting on the back of the chair in front of me and perhaps writing down a sentence or two we all burst out the door and kiss the floor in the hall way. FRREEEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMM!!!

Let's think about this for a little bit. In accordance with these criteria this business is going to go down in a large ball of flames. And he wonders why no one comes to class or participates. He teaches management where he learns about how to keep the employees attention and how to keep their attention. SO WHY DOESN'T HE USE THE TECHNIQUES HE TEACHES??????

I'm so frustrated. I have a test tomorrow on things I don't even remember him every saying. Probably because after the second slide I tune out and start staring at the clock or working on my masterpiece on that chair. Well I can say confidently that if my teacher were my manager at an organization he would be quickly terminated from his position. Perhaps I should write a letter.......................

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just so you know, I read your little paragraph about how you spend your time in class out loud to Kate, because I found it that hilarious.

I'm sorry that your class is so pointless and that your teacher is so...well, I'll be nice. But rest assured that I have my very own version of him here giving us ONE PAGE of notes over the course of three chapters. I had my test on that section today. It was rough, let me tell ya...

But yeah, glad we're still living twin lives. :)